Thursday, March 10, 2011

Nico turns 30


And I witness a robbery.
I was on my way to pick Matias up from School at 11:30 am.  Just 3 blocks from home, when I hear life-threatening screams.  I looked across the street and saw 3 guys going into a home.  A nice large home.  I thought to myself they must be robbing them.   I immediately felt me adrenaline start pumping.  I looked around to see what the response was of all of the other people that were in the street with me.  Everyone seemed oblivious.  I walked a block away and called Nico knowing that I had to do something.  Nico had  me walk back towards the home and get the address and he called the police.  I then saw 2 men on the corner who seemed to suspect something was going on and I informed them that I felt strongly that there was a robbery going on and showed them which house it was.  They looked like good men but still I feared they were accomplices and I really just wanted to get out of there.  I took off. already 10 minutes late to pick up Mati.   I started to cry I had become so emotional.  
Later that evening I asked Nico to take me back to that home to see if everyone was ok.
Sure enough it was a robbery.  5 guys went in the home and there were 5 more outside hanging around the block keeping watch.   They hit his 18 month old son twice but thankfully no one was really hurt. Oh and the worse part they totally got away. 
I think these thieves here must laugh at how easy it is to rob someone here and totally get away with it.
I mean come on.  A busy street, mid-day, scream,. neighbors, police, and still they walk away like it was nothing.
Seriously I can not deal with this.  And just last Friday Lili (red shirt) was robbed the same exact way while she was working (she cleans a home) just 25 blocks from me at 12:30pm.  They broke down 2 doors went right it and walked right out.
Way to close for comfort for me right now.  I really felt safe in my neighborhood and in my apartment building but I realized after yesterday I am not safe at all.  Feels like a matter of time.  I am beyond paranoid now.
I pray we will be moving on soon to another safer adventure, closer to home, somewhere in the Southeast would be nice.



OH BUT LIFE GOES ON and we celebrated Nico's 30 birthday.  We had a good time.  The great grandparents were able to experience the scrumptious taste of Guacamole and Salsa for the first time!!!   Dinner was a success (for the adults anyways) and lighting 30 candles wasn't as hard as I thought.   


B-I-N-G-O- THE GAME for the OLD and YOUNG!
Nice slogan don't ya think?


No comments: