Friday, June 25, 2010

Word on the street

Everybody's talkin about the Summer heat so I thought I'd mention the weather here in Buenos Aires. Reminder, it is winter here. Low 45 High 61. Not a cloud in the sky. And you know what the word on the street is?
Allow me.....
I almost didn't send so and so to school today. The low this morning was 40 degrees
I sent so and so to school with 5 layers on, I'll just die if he gets sick on me.
Are you sending Mati to schoool tomorrow? Even in this cold weather?
Where are her socks?
Aren't you cold?
2:00 and I still see people in sweaters, leather jackets, poncho, and scarves!!
Barefoot? YES! We're in the house for goodness sakes and our heating system is through the floors, but it still seems to baffle people.
I've realized that being barefoot in ones home or in the home of another is a serious no-no. After playing in the backyard at Mabel's a few months ago, a friend tells her son to put his shoes on before entering the house. Now that baffled me!!

Some medical advice for Argentineans: (who remember are dearly loved by me)
It’s true some people are always cold for example Argentineans. They sleep under five comforters in the winter and always carry an extra sweater on the hottest summer days (hey, there’s always the risk of an over-zealous air conditioner!). Does this mean there’s something medically wrong with these people? Probably not—although there is a condition called severe cold intolerance, it’s rare but does exist especially in South America.
Dr. So and So.

Toughen Up! words of one of my NY neighbors who always went out on the coldest of days with jacket on but unzipped and chest hairs showing. He was tough.
Oh and I do hope I'm getting on their nerves when I say "Sorry ladies I came from NY this is nothing, I 've yet to pull out my coat."
one more thing. Mati's teacher told him he needed to bring his coat to school. I was kind of feeling like a bad mom but was reminded his teacher is just another case of severe cold intolerace, and I am a great mother who would never send their child to school without a coat on a cold day.



SWIM SWIM or Not?
Mati's first swimming lesson he lasted about 10 minutes before he had a melt down and I went in to rescue him. I told the teacher he wasn't ready and she said "No, you're not ready." Maybe she was right. I hadn't prepped for it. He was invited by his friend Tizi last minute and since Mati wanted to go I thought we'd go ahead and give it a shot, niether one of us knew what we were getting into.




1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Seriously. Seriously? That is crazy about the "cold"...

Hopefully you'll figure out what to do about swimming lessons. If it's about not being ready,...We JUST took Jack's binki away. Yeah, at almost 3 yrs old. It was harder for me than it was for Jack. Pathetic. I promised myself I would not be that mom- the one who's kid had a binki that old... What do you do.